LAWRENCE CUSTER GRASMICK JONES & DONOVAN LLP
Is Hiring a Mid-Level Associate to Join Its Busy Water Law Practice
In Northern Colorado
Lawrence Custer Grasmick Jones & Donovan, LLP is a small, independent, and thriving water rights law firm looking to grow its practice through the addition of an entry to mid-level associate. We specialize in water rights law and litigation, special districts, real estate and property law and related matters. We pride ourselves on our more than 50 years of collective experience and our expertise to provide our clients quality and cost-effective representation. Our success as a Firm stems from our client-focused approach that is collaborative and solution driven. We work hard to create an environment which promotes mutual respect, integrity, transparency and teamwork.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated professional with 1-3 years of experience in water law matters looking to join a team devoted exclusively to water rights law and litigation, special districts, and real estate and property law transactions and litigation. Representative clients include special districts, ditch companies, water users’ associations, farmers, ranchers, municipalities, and individual water users and landowners. In this role, you will be positioned to have a significant impact while also gaining valuable experience and benefit from working with colleagues who are ambitious, hard-working, and who believe in having lives outside work.
Must be licensed to practice law in Colorado.
Specifically, the position involves a client-centered practice that includes:
- Advising clients in the acquisition and protection of water rights and real property;
- Navigating water court and state agency processes;
- Adjudicating, negotiating and litigating applications for surface and groundwater water rights, storage rights, plans for augmentation, changes of water rights, recharge projects and exchanges;
- Working through and with the Division of Water Resources to obtain substitute water supply plans and resolve well permit issues;
- Preparing and completing water rights purchase and sale transactions and other related real estate transactional matters;
- Preparing and drafting leases, easements, articles and bylaws, and other water and real estate related legal documents;
- Attending and helping lead client board and membership meetings.
Other Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working directly with firm clients on issues and litigation related to water rights law, special districts, and real estate and property law;
- Adjudicating water rights in water court on behalf of clients, including preparing and filing pleadings, negotiating settlements, preparing cases for trial, and litigating cases in court;
- Attending and leading client board and membership meetings;
- Advising clients regarding: the purchase, sale or lease of water rights; the acquisition and development of water storage facilities and other water infrastructure; and the impact of proposed regulations or legislation on client goals and assets.
- Drafting legal opinions; preparing and reviewing contracts, deeds, pleadings, leases, and other legal documents;
- Interpreting statutes, codes, ordinances, resolutions, and policies impacting client’s water rights and water rights portfolio development;
- Assigning or delegating work activities and projects to support staff;
- May supervise or provide day to day direction for a legal assistant.
- Law degree from an accredited law school; and Admission to practice in the State of Colorado
- 1-3 years of relevant water law experience as an attorney;
- Experience with water court; litigation experience; real estate transaction experience strongly preferred
- Knowledge of the 1969 Colorado Adjudication and Administration Act of Colorado and/or other water law and related procedures strongly preferred
- Commitment to helping manage the relationships and legal needs of clients;
- Skilled in legal research and writing;
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to problem-solve and participate in team problem-solving;
- Promptly respond to common inquiries from colleagues, staff, and clients;
- Effectively present information to judges, administrative agencies, colleagues, public groups, and boards and commissions;
- Ability to grasp the big picture, and have the confidence and temperament to jump in and run with a project while keeping team members in the loop;
- Thrive in a dynamic, collaborative and fast-paced work environment;
- Career goals include being an equity partner in an established, recognized and successful Colorado water law firm;
- Located in or wanting to relocate to Northern Colorado.
The Firm offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including a base salary range of $85,000 – $100,00, depending on experience, plus quarterly bonuses based on billables and collections. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with company match. The firm will pay for your Colorado Bar Association dues, Colorado attorney registration fees, and required Continuing Legal Education (CLE) tuition.
This firm is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. It does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, sexual preference,
This is not a remote position, however, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the firm’s staff and attorneys continue to offer a flexible work environment in accordance with state and local health expert recommendations. Everyone’s goal is to again be in the office together once it is safe to do so. At that time, the work environment will be that of a typical office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to:
Earnest HR Consulting