LAWRENCE CUSTER GRASMICK JONES & DONOVAN LLP
Is Hiring a Mid-Level Associate to Join Its Busy Water Law Practice
In Northern Colorado
Lawrence Custer Grasmick Jones & Donovan, LLP is a small, independent, and thriving water rights law firm looking to grow its practice through the addition of a mid-level associate. We specialize in water rights law and litigation and related matters. We pride ourselves on our more than 50 years of collective experience and our expertise to provide our clients quality and cost-effective representation. Our success as a Firm stems from our client-focused approach that is collaborative, and solution driven. We work hard to create an environment which promotes mutual respect, integrity, transparency, and teamwork.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated professional with a minimum of 3 years of experience in water law matters and is looking to join our team and create a long-term career with our Firm. In this role, you will be devoted exclusively to water rights law and litigation, special districts, and real estate and property law transactions and litigation. Representative clients include special districts, ditch companies, water users’ associations, farmers, ranchers, municipalities, and individual water users and landowners. In this role, you will be positioned to have a significant impact while also gaining valuable experience and benefit from working with colleagues. Our successful team members all desire responsibility, communicate directly with clients, value mutual respect, collegiality, responsiveness, ambition, hard work, take pride in seeing matters through completion and believe in having lives outside work. Must be licensed to practice law in Colorado.
Specifically, the position involves a client-centered practice that includes:
- Advising clients in the acquisition and protection of water rights and real property.
- Successfully navigating water court and state agency processes.
- Adjudicating, negotiating and litigating applications for surface and groundwater water rights, storage rights, plans for augmentation, changes of water rights, recharge projects and exchanges.
- Working through and with the Division of Water Resources to obtain substitute water supply plans and resolve well permit issues.
- Conducting due diligence on water rights and related real estate purchases.
- Preparing and drafting leases, easements, articles and bylaws, and other water and real estate related legal document.
- Ability to take a front-line role to help manage client relationships and legal needs., including attending and helping lead client board and membership meetings.
- Advising clients regarding: the purchase, sale, or lease of water rights; the acquisition and development of water storage facilities and other water infrastructure; and the impact of proposed regulations or legislation on client goals and assets.
- Drafting legal opinions; preparing and reviewing contracts, deeds, pleadings, leases, and other legal documents.
- Interpreting statutes, codes, ordinances, resolutions, and policies impacting client’s water rights and water rights portfolio development.
- May supervise or provide day to day direction for a legal assistant, or delegate work and projects to support staff.
- Law degree from an accredited law school; and Admission to practice in the State of Colorado.
- Must have 3+ years of relevant water law experience as an attorney.
- Experience with water court; litigation experience; real estate transaction experience strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of the 1969 Colorado Adjudication and Administration Act of Colorado and/or other water law and related procedures strongly preferred.
- Commitment to helping manage the relationships and legal needs of clients.
- Skilled in legal research and writing.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to problem-solve and participate in team problem-solving.
- Promptly respond to common inquiries from colleagues, staff, and clients.
- Effectively present complex information to judges, administrative agencies, colleagues, public groups, and boards and commissions.
- Ability to grasp the big picture and have the confidence and temperament to jump in and run with a project while keeping team members in the loop.
- Thrive in a dynamic, collaborative and fast-paced work environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to the practice of water law and professional growth.
- Located in or wanting to relocate to Northern Colorado.
The Firm offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including a base salary range starting at $110,000-$130,000. depending on experience, plus quarterly bonuses based on billables and collections. If you are intrigued by our Firm and this position, and your experience calls for a base salary outside our range, we are happy to discuss. We also offer medical including company contribution to an HSA, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with company match. The firm will pay for your Colorado Bar Association dues, Colorado attorney registration fees, and required Continuing Legal Education (CLE) tuition.
Lawrence, Custer, Grasmick, Jones and Donovan, LLP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Please send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to:
Earnest HR Consulting
This link leads to the machine readable files that are made available in response to the federal Transparency in Coverage Rule and includes negotiated service rates and out-of-network allowed amounts between health plans and healthcare providers.